Friday, 25 December 2015

Detours

It might have been The Who: their original name was The Detours and it seems to me that sometimes you can learn a lot from a band’s name.

With hours of festive freedom ahead of me I take a few detours of my own and drive along an unfamiliar road that leads to a churchyard. I park up on a patch of gravel in a green grotto of yews with  blood red berries that shine in the gloom. I share the space with a burgundy car belonging to an old couple placing flowers on a grave in the rain. I am in an expansive mood like Scrooge after the visit of the third ghost and feel like saying hello although it doesn’t seem right to break the silence so I don’t. 

Instead, I lift the latch on the churchyard gate expecting someone to leap out from behind a grave and challenge me at any moment. 

They are impressive graves, especially the great white sarcophagus that seems to glow in the grass next to a moss coated cross with fast fading Celtic knot work. 

I come to a wrought-iron lamppost in an early twentieth century style: it seems like the perfect place to wait for Mr Tumnus except that there’s plenty of rain instead of snow. 

Then, feeling like a burglar, I try the handle on the sombre church door. It’s locked and there’s nothing more to be done except to keep on walking in the rain looking and not looking for the next detour.


4 comments:

  1. Not the point of your tale, I know, but have you ever chosen a band name? I don't know if you sing or play an instrument, or have ever been in a band, but choosing the name can be a nightmare.
    And then, just when you think you have the perfect one, you google it and discover 47 other bands out there with the same name or a subtle variation. No chance of obtaining an original domain name.
    I know more than a few bands who have changed their name more than once.
    I do like our band name though - The Cracked Man - it embodies much of what I wanted it to :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I have always been a solo act with an acoustic pen. I can imagine that choosing the right name must be a very tricky business indeed and you have done well with The Cracked Man. It's an excellent name. The Cracked Man could have been the very fellow wandering through that churchyard.

      Thanks for reading, Kim.

      Delete
  2. Intriguing - where, I wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick. I don't know where either.

      Delete

Pages

Morlock Oil

Morlock Oil
A new collection of stories available now . Click on image for details.

The Quest Of Great Celtic Mystery

The Quest Of Great Celtic Mystery
New Chapbook Available (email rockinahill@gmail.com for details)

Furrow

Furrow
Bunchgrass Press

Essential guides for the journey...