Saturday, 17 October 2015

Jim Rockford

This must be what it’s like to be a detective. 
I sit in my car watching, listening. 
I see the action in the bar 
as if relayed on a TV screen. 
A lean man with a comb-over 
drinks yellow beer 
and I think that I recognise 
this late night drinker from a previous case. 
The peroxide blonde barmaid comes into view: 
the femme fatale who dreams of another life 
wealth and fame, the usual cliches 
that will one day 
lead her into dramatic trouble 
or just boredom 
and disappointment 
as age finally catches up with her. 
A movement in the carpark distracts. 
A young man with a lean body, agile as a monkey 
swings through the shadows of the stables 
from the old coach and horses days. 
He wears a white feather in a felt trilby hat. 
The door to the barroom opens 
and two men walk out and light cigarettes. 
One of the men is a tragedy of wasted talent. 
Every night he drowns some unknown sorrow 
in pints of ale and you don’t need to be Jim Rockford 
to work out how his story will end.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Glad to have an ace detective on board to help solve this one. Good to hear from you, Susan and thank you.

      Delete
  2. Aah - brings it all back, my misspent youth in front of the television. I always loved Rockford.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, me too. Think that it's because it was an integral part of Saturday night. Anyway, just leave your name and number and I'll get back to you.

      Delete
  3. Outside looking in.....I feel like this in so much of my life.....rarely in ........usually outside looking in......makes us good storytellers ......looking into others stories......i'd like my own story now.....to feel safe enough to step into a story of my own.....instead of this safe vicarious distance.....I think it's time to try again....wish me luck, my friend .....

    hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz. The wish has just been sent your way...

      Delete

Pages

Morlock Oil

Morlock Oil
A new collection of stories available now . Click on image for details.

The Quest Of Great Celtic Mystery

The Quest Of Great Celtic Mystery
New Chapbook Available (email rockinahill@gmail.com for details)

Furrow

Furrow
Bunchgrass Press

Essential guides for the journey...