Saturday, 31 January 2015

My Life As A Philatelist



Would-be novelists are often advised to keep their ears open for snippets of interesting dialogue. They are encouraged to eavesdrop in streets and cafes.

I decided to give it a try just the other day as I was waiting to cross the road.

A workman in a hi-vis safety vest said Well, I’ve ‘ad to step back a bit since mother died. But I’ll give him to Thursday. Then I’m going to go round and kill him.

Maybe it would be safer if I took up stamp collecting instead.

6 comments:

  1. : D .....no no, most *definitely* stick to dialogue collecting.......... ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done deal. One day, if I remember, I'll tell you all about the man who invented the tap from a conversation I overheard between three old boys on the bus.

      But that, as they say, is another story. Thank you, Liz.

      Delete
  2. I love stories....can't wait : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In that case, I'll have to get on and write it. Thanks, Liz.

      Delete
  3. Love it :)

    On the high street of Castle Douglas I overheard a conversation between 2 people standing right outside a newsagent:

    “Excuse me, but is there a newsagents up here?” he asked.

    “I think there’s one just down the road, the other side of the post office,” she replied.

    Perhaps it wasn't a surprise when the newsagent's closed down within the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy, the comic potential to be had here. A gem of a comment, thank you, Kim.

      Delete

Pages

Morlock Oil

Morlock Oil
A new collection of stories available now . Click on image for details.

The Quest Of Great Celtic Mystery

The Quest Of Great Celtic Mystery
New Chapbook Available (email rockinahill@gmail.com for details)

Furrow

Furrow
Bunchgrass Press

Essential guides for the journey...