Wednesday, 23 July 2014

Sir Anthony Hopkins In The Kebab House



Of all the diversions, I never thought that I'd relish a visit to the sewing machine shop.

The rain has been that cruel a jailer.

We make a run for it in our black car. Not only are we rushing through the rain to visit a sewing machine shop, but we’re taking a trip to my least favourite town...

She nuzzles the car into a vacant space. The rain lashes on the windows making it clear that it has no intention of letting us out, not even on a short parole.

I give in. Tell the rain I'm going nowhere. She is more determined.
But then, after all, sewing machine shops are probably more her kind of thing.

Left on my own, I click through channels. Things start off promisingly enough. A frothy show in which a bubbly, although all too self-aware of her own amazing humour, presenter defends the classics while laughing at her own jokes.

By classics we are into Virgil here, not the Rolling Stones.

I learn things but none of it sticks which is a measure of how good the programme is.

The rain brings out the odd bods.

I think of the Doors tune, People Are Strange.

Sir Anthony Hopkins comes bare headed down the street disguising himself with a limp and chav style jogging pants. He steps over a kid's bicycle and disappears into the green-marbled entrance of the kebab shop.

My eye travels to a cluster of copper hooded street lamps.

They have a thing about lamps in this town. They are always updating them with older versions in a quest for the perfect, authentic lamp of yesteryear.

I'm not sure what the psychology behind this is: maybe the authentic light-bulbs posing as gas lamps give off a kind of light that attracts people who like to open their wallets when touched with an antique glow - just as a candle draws moths.

Except moths get incinerated which may be why, if the theory behind the psychology is right, the town is in an ever-spiralling boarded up decline.

Sir Anthony comes out of the kebab shop and rolls a cigarette. He doesn't look as good as he used to, either.

At least, not in this light he doesn't.

4 comments:

  1. love this lyrical rhythm, Jonathan.......have you seen the movie "Inside Llewyn Davis"? You'd love it I think.....I don't know, I just think you would.....simple, profound, a quiet telling of a story that is all of our story.......no beginning or end.....just a glimpse into life, like your writing.....to let us know we're not alone....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. No, I don't know this movie. You've got me intrigued. I'll let you know what I think. Thanks again.

      Delete
  2. Aye, I'd recommend Inside Llewyn Davis too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that settles it. I'll wait until the evenings draw in a bit first.

      Thanks Kim.

      Delete

Pages

Morlock Oil

Morlock Oil
A new collection of stories available now . Click on image for details.

The Quest Of Great Celtic Mystery

The Quest Of Great Celtic Mystery
New Chapbook Available (email rockinahill@gmail.com for details)

Furrow

Furrow
Bunchgrass Press

Essential guides for the journey...