Friday, 13 December 2013

My Life As An Apprentice

At 3pm he'd send me on this errand. You'd never get away with it now but I was glad to get out onto the street, walk past the electrical store where the proprietor wept alone with his marital problems among the guts and entrails of vacuum cleaners.

The War Memorial made a crucifix in the square. I'd walk up hill until I reached the dusty shop with its antiquated Eldridge Pope sign, brewers of beer and importers of wines since Thomas Hardy was a boy.

The owner knew what I wanted. With his half-moon glasses glittering, he'd reach down a bottle of Claret and wrap it in tissue paper as if it was a precious gift.

This wrapper would survive the walk back to the printing house. The wine would be tipped into a chipped mug black with the residue of instant coffee.

Sometimes I'd have to repeat the journey.

4 comments:

  1. This is very funny. Thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of job was it when you weren't on an errand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lithographer. Pre computerised printing of local history books. I learnt a great deal, not all of it connected to the trade. Lucky break really. Thanks for reading Kim.

      Delete

Pages

Morlock Oil

Morlock Oil
A new collection of stories available now . Click on image for details.

The Quest Of Great Celtic Mystery

The Quest Of Great Celtic Mystery
New Chapbook Available (email rockinahill@gmail.com for details)

Furrow

Furrow
Bunchgrass Press

Essential guides for the journey...