Wednesday, 4 December 2013

45

Everything poised in a no man's land. I know, this is all very vague. But it's how it is. This is a strange day, this anniversary of the day that my life began. It might be easier to say birthday, but it's also the first complete turning of the earth since your life ended on what was also your birthday. A difficult feat to achieve, but you somehow managed it. I have only come across this birth-death day once before: it was a photograph in a paperback. One of those lion things. Born Free, that's what it was. Elsa, her tombstone and the dates coinciding. Even then, I knew that this was peculiar. So how to celebrate? Everything in the balance, I'll try and do my bit to make sure nothing gets up-ended. Vagueness is the only certainty, if you need a specific.

6 comments:

  1. Born Free was cool, Living Free was irritating. What did you think of the song?
    Your last two sentences are especially great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to revisit the song. I've never properly listened to it. Thinking about it, after receiving your lovely comment, all I can remember is the title and how it was sung, and a line about being free as the grass grows. From this limited perspective, I'd say that whoever it was who sung it had a great voice. As you get older, you begin to realise that your unhip parents, and even less cool grandparents were onto something after all. My Grandad was a country and western nut, which seems a bit strange when you consider that Cornwall was the nearest to the Wild West that he ever got. As a kid, this music drove me mad. When he died, I took away an old Johnny Cash record for a keepsake. Then realised that JC was the coolest thing on the planet. Mind you, he liked Des O'Conner too, so there are limitations to this argument.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations - hope you had a good day. You have outlived Marvin Gaye, Jackson Pollock and Spinoza, all of whom kicked the bucket aged 44 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it's been a close run thing, but the secret of my longevity has been to stay away from soul music, fast cars when drunk and powdered glass. Thanks Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Start planning the rest of the year now, if you want to outlive Freddie Mercury, Vlad the Impaler and Henry IV who all died aged 45... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes, you mean I've got to go through all of this again? In that case I'll make it my new year's resolution not to front a mega famous rock band in 2014 - no matter how hard anyone tries to make me, I'll always keep a calm disposition and wear plenty of skin moisturiser. That should do it, I reckon.

      Delete

Pages

Morlock Oil

Morlock Oil
A new collection of stories available now . Click on image for details.

The Quest Of Great Celtic Mystery

The Quest Of Great Celtic Mystery
New Chapbook Available (email rockinahill@gmail.com for details)

Furrow

Furrow
Bunchgrass Press

Essential guides for the journey...