Saturday, 26 October 2013

The Road To Anywhere

A man walks down the road wearing a pair of khaki trousers and army boots.

It's a misty day and his camouflage clothing is very effective: I nearly ran him over before I saw him, thumb stuck out hoping to hitch a lift.

Having almost killed him, I decided giving him a ride was the least I could do.

He got in, said thanks and lit up a cigarette.

He wound the window down and everything about him, the way he kept flicking his hair out of his eyes, the fast puffing on the cigarette spoke agitation.

A cheap ear-ring dangled from his ear.

'So where're you heading?'

'Anywhere will do.'

The mist was a white wall and it was hard going, the handbrake like a pistol between us on the ghostly road to anywhere.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes you wish you'd had a few more moments to assess a hitcher before letting them in the car. Reminds me of one of my earliest blog posts:
    http://kimayres.blogspot.co.uk/2005/07/hitcher.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kim. I shall read your link this evening.

    ReplyDelete

Pages

Morlock Oil

Morlock Oil
A new collection of stories available now . Click on image for details.

The Quest Of Great Celtic Mystery

The Quest Of Great Celtic Mystery
New Chapbook Available (email rockinahill@gmail.com for details)

Furrow

Furrow
Bunchgrass Press

Essential guides for the journey...