Thursday, 27 December 2012

The Black Bell

Everyone comes to gather,
mingle in this small room with windows
too high to give onto any view. Good people, yes.
I know that, but just as soon as I can, I slip away,
unobserved, to my car. Drive into town.
Follow a black Saab driven by a man in a Santa suit.
Find a place to park. When I step out into the light
it's all oh, that's still there and well, that's just the same.

The black bell
starts to swing
above the alms houses.

I watch its slow arc.

Dust blows down
the bright street.

2 comments:

  1. Very good stuff. I love the shift from the opening stanza to the closing three; very different quality of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you WB. Time seemed to slow to a standstill when the bell rang.

      Delete

Pages

Morlock Oil

Morlock Oil
A new collection of stories available now . Click on image for details.

The Quest Of Great Celtic Mystery

The Quest Of Great Celtic Mystery
New Chapbook Available (email rockinahill@gmail.com for details)

Furrow

Furrow
Bunchgrass Press

Essential guides for the journey...