Sunday, 11 November 2012

Cricket

Antique radio with its weak, long wave signal, was my constant companion.
The only thing I could get was cricket.
I knew nothing about cricket.
Had no interest in cricket.
But the mind craved some kind of diversion.
I listened to the commentary. Picked up how the scoring worked.
Visualised the action as surely as if I'd been there, sat on a bench in the grounds.
This listening become my ballast during the days, weeks, months that followed as I adjusted to the idea that she really meant it this time.

2 comments:

  1. This is good.

    I've never been in such a way that Cricket became the source of solace. That must have been some break up.

    ReplyDelete

Pages

Morlock Oil

Morlock Oil
A new collection of stories available now . Click on image for details.

The Quest Of Great Celtic Mystery

The Quest Of Great Celtic Mystery
New Chapbook Available (email rockinahill@gmail.com for details)

Furrow

Furrow
Bunchgrass Press

Essential guides for the journey...