Saturday, 15 September 2012

The Room


The room drinks in draughts of cold air that comes
through the window that stubbornly refuses to close.
I try to marshal my thoughts so that I can fall into sleep.
It seems important that I am to do this thing.
There’s the danger that sleep might steal
along before the thoughts are picked up,
turned over and put safely into place.
At the moment, the images that come
with the thoughts are scattered like sheep,
vulnerable all across the darkening hills.
Another window, through bad design,
lets in light from the kitchen belonging
to the flat next door. The light falling
on the bed, the cold air playing
across my face. I could probably
work with these things but what I can’t deal
with is the woman who keeps screaming
in the house next door while my thoughts
run through the cold fields followed by
the foxy-red baying. I wish someone
would help me gather them safely
in, hose them down and lay them
in some kind of clean, straw smelling
place of calm and order.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages

Morlock Oil

Morlock Oil
A new collection of stories available now . Click on image for details.

The Quest Of Great Celtic Mystery

The Quest Of Great Celtic Mystery
New Chapbook Available (email rockinahill@gmail.com for details)

Furrow

Furrow
Bunchgrass Press

Essential guides for the journey...