Friday, 28 September 2012

Happy If They Knew It

Llewellyn Powys at Chydyok



I had been working in my garden. The sun was just below the horizon and the dew was already on the small green walks bordered by sweet-smelling roses and carnations. The stillness of the evening was broken only by the whistling of a blackbird. I sat down on a rude seat I had formed beneath an old tree and, as I thought of the fruits and plants that were ripening around me, I exclaimed to myself: 'How happy if they knew it, are they that till the ground.'”

William Barnes, quoted in Somerset and Dorset Essays by Llewellyn Powys.

Willliam Barnes




No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages

Morlock Oil

Morlock Oil
A new collection of stories available now . Click on image for details.

The Quest Of Great Celtic Mystery

The Quest Of Great Celtic Mystery
New Chapbook Available (email rockinahill@gmail.com for details)

Furrow

Furrow
Bunchgrass Press

Essential guides for the journey...