Friday, 17 August 2012

The Quest of Great Celtic Mystery (Part Five)

I got out of the tent and walked to the wood. There was a little stream and like a true warrior on the Quest of Great Celtic Mystery, I washed my face in it. Looking up, water blurring my vision, I was surprised to see a lone tombstone. I walked nearer. The tomb was green and black with moulds and growths.

The tower of the ruin cast its shadow over us. By ‘us’, I mean me and whoever was sleeping in that tomb. It was an impressive stone. I began to suspect that it might be the last resting place of a mighty king. Who else would be given their own tombstone in a lonely wood within the shadows of a great tower?

6 comments:

  1. Hey Jonathan
    I'm finally catching up on QoGCM. Really loved these lines/phrases: "WWF swung a fist at this newcomer to our impromptu peace conference" from part 3 and "We were befuddled with beer" from part 4.

    Stupid Question: Are these entries based on "real" events?

    Regards,
    B.R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bobby.

      It's a very good question. Straight autobiography in this case.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Good to see that you're on the case!

      Delete
  3. This series is spooky and interesting. How could anyone make up such stuff. In fact the green and black moulds and growths sound not only believable but familiar. We dead Celtic warriors prefer that sort of thing to your swaying palms and sandy beaches. But we are here and aware of your enquiries. Flattering indeed to be thought of as mighty kings, when here we'd resigned ourselves to being museum scarecrows for eternity. We shall return to haunt you again soon. (So you'll be standing the next round of drinks, then, laddie?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't drunk in the Scarecrow's Museum for a long while. Valerian tea all round.

    ReplyDelete

Pages

Morlock Oil

Morlock Oil
A new collection of stories available now . Click on image for details.

The Quest Of Great Celtic Mystery

The Quest Of Great Celtic Mystery
New Chapbook Available (email rockinahill@gmail.com for details)

Furrow

Furrow
Bunchgrass Press

Essential guides for the journey...