Thursday, 2 February 2012

Top Gear - Some Thoughts On Driving

It’s a drag and a blessing all at the same time. What I mean is the school run. The car is a sanctuary, a place to think. A sort of mobile hermitage. Once I’m locked in there no-one can get at me.

There’s music if I don’t want to think. Sometimes the music makes a good soundtrack to the action that’s being projected on the glass of my windows. If I’m in the mood, I’ll even take the starring role.

But it’s wearing too. Wearing being at the wheel wondering at the way others drive, behave in their cars. Perhaps they take a starring role in their own films too. I just can’t relate to their plot or genre.

I mean, have they changed the rules of the driving test? Is indicating at roundabouts now optional, a nicety that can be shucked off if you’re not in the mood? How many minutes have I wasted giving way to people who I didn’t need to give way to?

Times are hard, right? Well the council could save a fortune if they stopped painting double yellow lines at the side of the road. Sometimes trying to get down the high street is like negotiating a slalom course.  

Would you really give me the finger if we were face to face in the supermarket and not cocooned behind high speed glass?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages

Morlock Oil

Morlock Oil
A new collection of stories available now . Click on image for details.

The Quest Of Great Celtic Mystery

The Quest Of Great Celtic Mystery
New Chapbook Available (email rockinahill@gmail.com for details)

Furrow

Furrow
Bunchgrass Press

Essential guides for the journey...