Wednesday, 21 December 2011

Just Passing By

‘Your seventy now. Is that a good thing?’
‘Yes and no. You know that it’s nearly over.
That you’ve had a good innings.’

You can’t say the same for John. He died when he was forty.

Forty seemed old to me as I slowly
advanced in years towards this magic number.

Sometimes I get caught.
His voice sounds just like yours.
On the phone, I sometimes
leap right on in and don’t realise until it’s too late.

‘How strange.’ Those were the words that he used
to open what would be our last encounter.

Forgive me for running on so fast.

Those words, spoken on the ridge
in his inimitable intonation.

But then all voices bear their own stamp like whorls in a fingerprint?

I write down the date.
I see him instantly.

How strange…

 Then I passed it by.

2 comments:

Pages

Morlock Oil

Morlock Oil
A new collection of stories available now . Click on image for details.

The Quest Of Great Celtic Mystery

The Quest Of Great Celtic Mystery
New Chapbook Available (email rockinahill@gmail.com for details)

Furrow

Furrow
Bunchgrass Press

Essential guides for the journey...