Friday, 11 November 2011

Shopping

Looking neither left nor right, I walked down the aisle of the supermarket in a state of total disconnection. It was damn chilly. Fridges everywhere. As an automaton I pushed the trolley while my wife tossed tins and packets into its wire belly. I think she said things to me.

Everything felt very orange - the supermarket’s livery. Every space was taken by the spatially challenged. If I tried to step out the way of an approaching zombie they’d change tack at precisely the wrong moment so that I might as well not have bothered. A life-sized Barbie Doll strolled among the freezers studying the boxes of frozen chicken nuggets as if they were the spines of academic periodicals on a library shelf. She checked her reflection in the chilled glass of an upright freezer. Don’t worry babe, you’re still here, tangible and desirable as a chicken nugget replete with dipping sauce.

Somehow we got to the conveyor that led us out of there.

2 comments:

Pages

Morlock Oil

Morlock Oil
A new collection of stories available now . Click on image for details.

The Quest Of Great Celtic Mystery

The Quest Of Great Celtic Mystery
New Chapbook Available (email rockinahill@gmail.com for details)

Furrow

Furrow
Bunchgrass Press

Essential guides for the journey...