Thursday, 27 October 2011

Book of the Month

A Listening Thing by William Michaelian
Every word, sentence, paragraph and chapter neatly flows on, one after the other.
Deceptively simple, the story concerns Stephen Monroe; an every man’s every man. The message is deep and the title profound. But there are plenty of comic observations to make the reader smile. Especially the description of tail-gating and a cigar chomping old boy admiring the pretty women as he drives along. Situations every motorist will recognise. Sentences that are memorable: ‘I had an affair with my toaster’ and a fantastic scene involving an oak tree.
A wise and generous novel I suspect I will be re-reading again in the near future. It’s worth the cover price for William’s advice to aspiring young writers alone – advice that is also very useful for middle-aged and elderly writers too.
You can buy the book by following the links on William’s website at www.william-michaelian.com

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree. I wish I had the time to pick a quote as an example. But, as you probably know, there's such a great passage on page 55 about listening.

    And now its off to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks K. I'll have to revisit page 55 aand do some more listening. Hope that you had a good day at work...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, this was an extremely good post. Taking the time and actual effort to make a very good article… but what can I say… I hesitate
    a whole lot and never manage to get anything
    done.
    Look at my web site ; click here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for this kind comment. Sorry I didn't reply earlier: darn spam filter.

      Delete

Pages

Morlock Oil

Morlock Oil
A new collection of stories available now . Click on image for details.

The Quest Of Great Celtic Mystery

The Quest Of Great Celtic Mystery
New Chapbook Available (email rockinahill@gmail.com for details)

Furrow

Furrow
Bunchgrass Press

Essential guides for the journey...